Singapore Math - Mathematics Curriculum
Singapore math can be characterized by the following factors:
-> Spiral approach: Singapore math is spiral in its structure.
-> Sequence of introduction of concepts: The teaching method that Singapore math model follows goes from concrete via pictorial to abstract.
-> Intelligent sequence of repetition of previous knowledge: The amount of repetition is minimal in Singapore mathematics.
-> Crisp focus on understanding of core mathematical concepts free from redundancies: The nature of the study is exploratory, and the child asks and gets answer to the fundamental "why" questions rather than semi-grasping vague ideas without deep knowledge.
5 points to remember:
(1) emphasis on problem solving
(2) developing students' metacognition and positive approach and attitudes toward math
(3) reflection - thinking about thinking, communicating our approaches
(4) fewer topics at greater depth
(5) concrete to pictorial to abstract
A sample of my first Parent University. Must have thought I was pretty funny because the humor was infectious. (Must add laugh-track)
At last, America may change the way it trains, recruits and rewards teachers